What is a potentiostat
So what is a potentiostat?
- it is an electrochemical sensor
- with 3 electrodes - working, counter, reference
- uses feedback for control
- actively control potential between working and reference electrode - using counter electrode as actuator.
- simultaneously measure working electrode current.
- not passive - often sweep output voltage through various waveforms, ramps, cyclic, steps, pulses, etc.
- characterize electrochemical processes (redox potentials, reversibility of reactions, etc)
- study coatings or corrosion
- biosensor development